Summer is the best. I love the weather. I love the fun family times. I love the holidays. I love the fresh produce. I love the fun vacations. I love the outdoor activities. I love it ALL!! However, With all of this goodness that I love comes a busy schedule that often lends itself to missed workouts, increased summer treats, and excuses for not living the healthy way you are wanting to be living. Make this summer different! The following are some tips that can help you to have a fun, happy, and HEALTHY summer.
1. Pre plan your meals. With summer being so busy, having an idea of what you want to eat for the week can help you to keep yourself on track with healthy meals.
2. Plan meals that are quick & easy. Planning your meals is important, but I find myself wanting to be in a hot kitchen as little as possible. Are you the same way? With that being said, I would make your meals easy and simple. Make healthy salads. Use your crock pot. Capitalize on all the fresh produce that is around. It is so good!
3. Stock up on healthy snacks you can grab. Having healthy snacks on hand (veggies & hummus, fruit, popcorn, Larabars, Questbars, nuts, etc) allows you to have healthy stuff to take with you on the go on all of your summer adventures. Instead of getting cheese fries and nachos at the pool, bring your own goods and you will be well prepared!
4. Get your workouts done in the morning. Summer is hot. When you get your workouts done early in the morning, you will not have to worry about sweating during the heat of the day. Summer mornings are magical. The sun rises early and it is beautiful outside! Getting your workout out of the way will allow you to enjoy your busy summer activities without having the need to workout hanging over your head.
5. Get Grilling. Oh, how I love grilling in the summertime. It is the best. You can whip up some amazing healthy options on the grill. Experiment grilling your chicken, fish, and lean cuts of beef with different marinades and rubs. Make shish kabobs. Grill your veggies. The possibilities are endless. The cleanup is minimal, and the taste is off the charts.
6. Hydrate. The heat of summer means an increase in sweat. Don’t forget to stay hydrated. Bring a water bottle with you wherever you go. It will help to keep you cool and hydrated!
7. Make your summer ACTivities ACTive. Find things to do outside to enjoy the beautiful summer weather. Go on hikes. Explore your surroundings. Ride bikes. Go for walks. Go paddle boarding. Just go! You will burn calories and make awesome memories.
8. Choose your “cool treats” wisely. One of the hardest things for me during the summer is to not want to dive into a giant waffle cone of ice cream or shave ice every single day. It is just what sounds good to me with the hot weather. I’m not saying you can’t dig into these delights every now and again, but I’d do so sparingly. These cool treats tend to be backed with sugar, which isn’t going to help you reach your goals. Go for frozen yogurt instead, make your own fruit smoothies, make your own banana ice cream, etc.
9. Change your transportation. Instead of driving everywhere ride your bike or walk! You will up your calorie burn, and you will see your surroundings in a whole new way!
10. Don’t use vacations as an excuse. Summer vacations are the best. I get that. However, going from one vacation to the next with a “vacation mentality” is going to kill your goals. Decide to stay healthy and active while you are on vacation. Keep moving. Make healthy eating choices. You can do it. You just have to decide to do so!