I’ve had a lot of requests for some healthy holiday gift ideas for both your loved ones AND you! If you are trying to stick to a healthy lifestyle, the holidays are a GREAT time to gear up with everything you need to start the continue your journey!
I have SO many favorites I could list here…It’s hard to even know where to begin. However, Christmas is a great time to get that new pair of Nikes, new tops, some socks (I love Stance & Bombass) a new hat, a sweet jacket, some leggings, (I’ve listed all my favorites HERE) warm gear for those outdoor exercisers, etc…If you are needing the right clothes to get yourself excited about getting active, or to help others get excited. New clothes are an AWESOME Christmas gift.
WORKOUT GEAR: An Apple Watch, Garmin, Heart Rate Monitor, activity tracker, Hydroflask, exercise belt/arm band (to hold a phone or keys), new earbuds, blue tooth speaker, wireless headphones, hiking back pack, camelback, a new gym bag, hair elastics, head bands, gym bag necessities (antibacterial wipes/towel/hand sanitizer/gum/chapstick), workout gloves, etc.
EQUIPMENT: This can range from simple to extensive…jump rope, mat, bosu ball, medicine ball, kettlebell, dumbbells, resistance bands, physioball, exercise DVD’s, a foam roller…treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, road bike, stairmill (in my dreams)…
SUBSCRIPTIONS/MEMBERSHIPS: Gym membership, personal training sessions, a meal plan, fit camp membership, Spotify subscription, Netflix subscription, fitness magazine subscription, healthy eBooks, a massage, race entries, etc.
HEALTHY TREATS/FOOD/COOKING: Gift certificates to your favorite healthy restaurants or health food stores, nuts, popcorn, protein bars, jerky, cookware, healthy cook books, a small portable/packable cooler or tupperware, to take your healthy meals on the go, a blender, spiralizer, cocomotion, food processor, kitchen aid, other items to help with healthy cooking in the kitchen!
BEAUTY PRODUCTS: Body wash, perfume, lotion, body scrub, face masks, hair products, dry shampoo (a fitness gal’s best friend), hair elastics, nail polish, lip gloss, chapstick, gift certificates for a pedicure/manicure, etc.
Hopefully these suggestions can help you to find some great healthy holiday gifts, for your loved ones AND for your own list! xoxoxo
There are few things worse than clothing malfunctions when you are working out. It takes away from the ability to work hard. If you’re too busy worrying about if your pants are see through, or how you are going to keep them up with one hand whist trying to squat…the workout is going to start to suffer. SO, what’s a hard working girl to do? Well, start by ditching the crappy leggings, & find something that works for you! Here are some of my favorite suggestions, & why I love them…The list goes from left to right in this photo, and I’ve linked the details for ya!
- Lululemon speed tights Price point: $108 – I love these because they fit like a dream. Lulu’s prices are always on the higher end, BUT it’s with good reason. Their quality is awesome. They have a 5 year warranty, & awesome customer service. These have side pockets if you like to keep your phone on you while you are running/lifting/hiking. They change up the prints all the time, and usually have some fun patterns to choose from.
- Athleta Electra Sonar 7/8 Tight Price point: $89 – My sister gave me these darling tights for my B-day & I LOVE them. They rise a little higher in the waist, and they STAY IN PLACE. This print isn’t available anymore, but I linked the closest possible option. While Athleta’s prices are also a little higher, their quality is great. Their fabric washes well, & is flattering.
- Old Navy Go Dry High Rise Compression Tights Price Point:$15-30 These are an awesome option for a much lower price. The quality isn’t as high with these leggings as far as wash & wear over time. However, I am super impressed with them. You can’t beat the price, & I LOVE the way they fit. The high rise waistline is awesome. I also have THESE mid rise compression leggings, & I LOVE them.
- Zella Live in Leggings Price Point: $52 These leggings are my JAM. I actually don’t wear them to workout in all the time. I’ll wear them to hike in occasionally. But, the reason for that is because I like to wear them every other second of the day. These are my go-to black, standard, wear every second of the day, awesome quality leggings. They are from Nordstrom. I can’t say enough good things about them. They wash well. They wear well. They are the best amount of thickness. They are flattering. They are THE best. If you don’t have them. You need them. They always go on sale during the anniversary sale, FYI!
- Nike Power Epic Lux Price Point: $108 full price (This is full price on Nike.com, BUT they go on sale!) These tights are AWESOME. They are a good amount of thickness, and I LOVE the waistband on these pants. They come in high rise as well. Nike also has another similar pant that has an elastic waistband that I DO NOT like. I feel like it cuts you off, right where you don’t want it…or me at least. These tights stay in place, and if you check a Nike outlet, or any other sporting goods store that carries Nike products, you will likely find them on sale!
- GapFit Blackout Technology gFast Space Dye high rise leggings Price Point:$30-65 I LOVE these leggings so much. Apparently Oprah does too. Turns out they were on her favorite things list. They are so comfortable. The quality is great. The high rise waist fits comfortably, and if you can’t get them on sale…you should wait for a hot second. Gap almost always is offering some sort of 30-40% off deal, which makes them a steal. They are thick enough to where they aren’t see through, but not so thick that they are suffocating. Plus the pattern is so unique. I Love them!
- Lululemon All The Right Places Tights Price Point: $128 Another pricer pant, BUT they are named adequately. They are flattering on EVERYONE. Not only that, they are specifically lined and vented for those who workout. What does that mean? Well, the seat of the pant is lined with a thicker material so you won’t be seeing through them when you are squatting/burpeeing/bending…etc. Other parts are vented to keep you cooler while sweating. GENIUS. If you are wanting to invest in a GOOD, high quality pair to wear all the time. These are your guys right here. They also have side pockets…which obviously…we all love.
- Lululemon High Rise Wunder Under Crop Full on Luon 21″ Price Point: $88 – I realize the length of these might be different on everyone, but I love the length! They are longer than a capri, but not all the way down to the ankle. The high rise is fantastic, & they are super flattering. Lulu frequently comes out with a variety of colors & prints in these which a lot of time will eventually go on sale if you can catch your size. Just check the “we made too much,” section. They also make these in a full pant, which is awesome.
- Athleta Chaturunga Tight Price Point: $29-89 These are one of Athleta’s basic tights. They come in high rise, mid rise, capris, full tights, w/pockets…and in a ton of different prints. They are fantastic. I LOVE the striped capris. They are darling on every body type. They are high quality, they wash well, & they stay in place. All things that matter big time to me!
There are SO many different types of tights out there I know it can be a little overwhelming, trying to find something that works for your body type, but hopefully this can point you in the right direction!
While I may be particular on a lot of things with regards to my workouts, there is one thing that I am EXTREMELY picky about…what I’m wearing. If my clothes are bothering me while I workout, I can’t workout at my full capacity. It drives me crazy. That being said, what I wear matters. A lot.
The amazing people over at Crane & Lion were nice enough to put together an outfit for me to try out. Let me first say that I’m a harsh critic. For example; I have about 30 pairs of the EXACT same style of shorts because I like how they fit. I know I can trust them. I don’t even have to think about how they are going to fit while i’m working out. I tried out this outfit that was sent to me
…& I’m sold. I loved every single piece that I tried.
The three items that are pictured here are: the keyhole sports bra in Cloud Blue
the shorty short in black
the pima textured long sleeve tee in Peacoat I loved each piece for different reasons. The sports bra was comfortable, supportive, & very cute. I loved the color. The structure was awesome. The shorty shorts were PERFECTION. The length was spot on. The shirring on the side of the shorts is SO cute. They didn’t move. At. All. No riding, no sliding, no movement. This is KEY in shorts. The long sleeve pima tee is the softest fabric ever. It’s going to be my new hiking tee for SURE. I’m obsessed. It’s light, comfortable, but still has some structure. LOVE. To sum it up, I’m a big fan. I highly suggest you check out Crane & Lion. You will not be disappointed.
It’s Christmas shopping time…which it always SO fun, but can also be a bit stressful. Whether you are looking for things for the people you love, or to put on your own list…here is a list of some of my fitness favorites.
- Socks. As you know I’m a HUGE fan of socks these days. There are so many different fun patterns/styles that can keep your feet warm while you are just kicking around or spice up your workout outfit a bit. My favorites these days are Stance socks, Bombas socks, & Nike elites. Side note: I also love the Nike Roshes pictures below. 🙂
- Hydroflask water bottle. My sister gave me one of these for my birthday this year, and I am absolutely in love with it.
- Lulu Lemon Speed Shorts. I LOVE these shorts. The Speed Short 4-way stretch is my favorite. However, they have a ton of different varieties if you don’t love the way those ones fit on you.
- G fast Leggings from Gap Fit. These are so comfortable. I love the 23″ style because they are the perfect length. I have them in both black & gray & I wear them ALL the time!
- Fitness tracker/heart rate monitor. I have tried a LOT of different types of activity trackers & heart rate monitors. My favorite activity tracker is the Jawbone. My favorite heart rate monitor is the Polar FT4.
- Lululemon Whatsup Hat. I am a hat lover these days. Probably because I hate doing my hair…My favorite being the Whatsup & Baller styles from Lulu.
- Nike Internationalists. I don’t wear these to work out in, but they are my absolute favorite kick around shoes. I have worn them to Disneyland, on trips where i’m walking all day, and just for everyday life. They are seriously so comfortable, and so cute. They are also great for jumping in front of unicorns. Obviously.
- Joggers. I wear joggers like 10 times per week. They are the perfect mix between comfortable, stylish, & not completely scroungy…or at least that is what I tell myself. Some of my favorites? HERE. HERE. and HERE.
- Healthy Snacks: Questbars/Larabars/G2G Bars/Skinny Pop/Nearly Naked Popcornopolis/Boom Chicka Pop/Krave Jerky/nuts/gum/etc.
- Patagonia Nano Puff Hooded Jacket. I LOVE this coat. It’s the perfect weight to throw on as a layer because it is so lightweight, but it’s super warm. I wear it ALL. THE. TIME.
- Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 32 – These shoes have become some of my favorites. They are so comfy, and so cute. They have some new floral styles that are absolutely to die for. You can find them HERE.
- Giftcards to your favorite healthy restaurant. You just can’t go wrong with gift cards. You can’t. I love to eat. I love to eat out. I especially love to eat out when it’s free. I think everyone feels pretty much the same on that.
- Zella Live In Leggings. These basic black leggings are perfection. I wear them all the time. If you don’t have some. Get some. You will not regret it.
- Subscriptions to Spotify/Netflix/Itunes. It is always easier to work out when you have great music, or some shows to watch. Subscriptions to make this possible make for an awesome gift.
- Gap Fit Breathe Heathered Hoodie. The material on these hoodies is so soft. They are perfect to throw on to run to the gym, or just to be comfortable. They also have some that don’t have the hood that are equally as awesome.
- Muscle Tanks. I have been loving working out in muscle tanks these days. Some of my favorites are HERE and HERE.
- Fitness Equipment: Kettlebell, hand weights, jump rope, Bosu Ball Medicine ball. This is an endless category really. I feel like there are always a million things I want. The above mentioned items are some great basic pieces to enable some great at home workouts.
- Gym Membership/personal training sessions/a session of Fit Camp 🙂 … This is a simple way to give the gift of health!
- Headphones. I love THESE Skull Candy headphones and THESE Dre Beats.
- Backpack or Gym Bag. I think a gym bag is an AWESOME gift because it is something that people use all the time , but don’t necessarily think to buy one for themselves. THIS is one of my favorites. I also love this Fjallraven Kanken backpack for hiking. It’s super lightweight, & can actually hold quite a bit.
Happy Shopping!! xoxoxo Megs
Remember how I posted a while back about how much I LOVE my Bombas socks?
These awesome socks have a performance footbed that offers extreme comfort, a blister tab at the back of the heel that keeps the socks in place while preventing rubbing & chafing, a honeycomb support system that allows even pressure distribution, a hand linked toe seam that eliminates that annoying/uncomfortable bump that runs across the toes in a lot of socks, they are EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE, and the best part…they have so many awesome styles & colors. On top of that, for every pair of socks purchased, a pair is donated to someone in need. AWESOME.
Well, the fantastic people over at Bombas want everyone else to get a chance to love these socks just as much as I do…so they are giving a $50 gift card to one lucky winner! Awesome, right?
Enter below for a chance to win! You have until 8 PM MST on Sunday November 15th to enter! Best of luck!! xoxoxo
THIS GIVEAWAY NOW CLOSED. Winner: Jennifer McCarty
I have a thing for athletic shoes, it’s no secret. However when I find a shoe that I really really love, I have to share it. I posted yesterday about these Nike Free TR Flyknits, on my Instagram & I had some questions regarding where I found them, and the fit of the shoe. I couldn’t be happier to share more about them…I have people ask me all the time which shoes I feel like are best for circuit training & cross training. I think these are an AWESOME choice. They are structured, due to the normal fit of the Free TR style. However, they have the comfort of the flyknit as well, which is my favorite. I have other Nike Free TR’s, & I found these to fit the same way the others fit. I would say they are true to size. Nike has done it again, & once again, I’m a huge fan!
I talk to people about why exercise is great for health & weight loss all the day long, and the list of reasons I could give you as to why it is so good for you is quite lengthy. However, many of the reasons why I love to exercise have nothing to do with health.
- It challenges me. Growing up I was a dancer. I was always working towards achieving different things. Improving specific form, learning new techniques, increasing my skill level, and working toward competitions and performances were what I thrived on. Sadly, dancing isn’t something that I do much of anymore. However, I still love to move my body. I still love to be challenged. I like working toward different athletic goals, improving form, and pushing myself to reach higher levels of achievement.
- I get to watch all sorts of TV. I’m not really one to sit around and watch TV, and if I do, it is usually the background to me cooking, writing programs, answering emails, etc. When I do my cardio, however, I LOVE watching whatever happens to be catching my eye at the time. Some of my favorites…Parenthood, The Biggest Loser, Scandal, Suits, Gossip Girl, Project Runway…and whatever else has been suggested to me at the time. I don’t feel guilty about it at all because it is time well spent, zoned out, and very stress-relieving.
- I get to jam to my new music. As you know from my many workout playlists, I LOVE finding new music. It must be the dancer in me, but there are just some songs that get me going. It’s like a breath of energy that is almost inexplicable. For example…anytime I am running and I hear Eminem, Lose Yourself, I am instantly pumped. Tired or not, I feel empowered. Music has that effect on me, and I love it.
- Working out is social for me. I love doing my cardio on my own time. It is me time. However, I LOVE lifting with others. I spend a lot of time at the gym working out with friends, and it’s really fun to me. I love doing active things with other people like hiking, rollerblading (yep it’s 2015 & I still blade), going for a run, going for a bike ride, or even just a walk. It’s quality time spent together.
- It gives me energy. I know, this could fall under the category of “health,” but healthiness aside, when I don’t workout I feel sluggish. Exercise gets me going. Not exercising makes me want to take a nap. Sounds backwards, but for me it’s true.
- Exercising = Not stressing about food as much. Let it be said first. You CANNOT out exercise a bad diet. I fully, FULLY …F U L L Y….support eating healthy. I am a big fan of a clean, whole foods diet. However, I know that when I am eating well, and working out I don’t have to stress about every single calorie that I eat. Exercise allows for a little buffer/wiggle room. I fully support that.
- I get to wear workout clothes & shoes, which happen to be my favorite thing ever. This one speaks for itself.
- It gives me an excuse to be outside. I love the sun. It warms my soul. I love being outside where I can enjoy the sun. Exercising outdoors gives me a reason to be outside, and I love that. I’m not even mad if I get tan while that is happening either. 🙂
- It gives me confidence. For the most part, we tend to be really hard on ourselves. It is extremely easy to get drawn into negative self talk about the way we think we look, the way we feel about ourselves, and the way we wish we thought/looked/felt. When I am regularly exercising, I feel better about myself. My confidence in the way I look and feel is increased. I don’t mean it in a prideful way at all. I just know that I feel better about myself when I exercise.
- It’s fun. I know like %80 of the people out there might not agree with me there, but I have grown to love it. It makes me happy. I love the way it makes me feel, (sometimes not until after, but still.) I love the feeling of accomplishment that comes with checking a daily workout off my list. I like being active. I like trying new activities. I like the endorphins that come from exercise.
A few months ago, I was on a hike with some of my amazing friends…these friends…and we started chatting about our top 10 “must have” lists, or favorites, if you will…favorite beauty products, favorite articles of clothing, favorite home items…etc. Since then I have constantly find myself making mental notes of “favorite thing” lists all of the time. I wanted to share my favorite fitness products that I currently cannot live without.
- Lululemon speed shorts. I fought the Lululemon phenomenon for a long time because their stuff is pricey, and I knew the second i tried it I would fall in love. Well, I was right. I am a HUGE fan of their stuff, particularly their speed shorts. They fit AWESOME. I love the waistband. They are so comfortable, plus they are darling.
- GapFit mesh tank. I may or may not own this tank in 4 different colors. I LOVE it. It fits so well. It breathes. It is super comfortable. It is cute. It washes well. It’s awesome. Get one…or 4.
- Nike Roshe Runners While I wouldn’t recommend these for running. I LOVE them for lifting weights, cross training, and just kicking around town. They are like walking on clouds. So comfortable. Plus, anything green and neon I am always on board with.
- Skullcandy Jib Earbuds.I have mentioned several times that I love music. It is what gets me through my workouts. I have been completely converted to these earbuds because they stay put, and they are extremely comfortable, even when i’m sweating like crazy. They also block out outside noise which I love. It helps me to focus on the current show I am hooked on. Which brings me to my next must have.
- Netflix. You may not consider this a “fitness product” but I totally do. If you are trying to figure out how to make it through your cardio, stop staring trying to entertain yourself by people watching (oh wait, I still do that too…) and find a good series to watch on Netflix. I try to keep my TV watching to a minimum, so it is a total treat to me to get my intervals on while watching Serena and Blair duke it out, or Meredith and McDreamy reconcile differences…again, or allowing old episodes of One Tree Hill to take me away. Worth it.
- TRX trainer. Anyone who has worked out with me knows my love for the TRX. It is a simple contraption that uses straps to work with your own body weight to get a KILLER workout. I use them to train my clients all the time. They are fantastic because they are portable, so you can literally use them anywhere. They are great for people who are rehabbing injuries because they allow you to displace weight when necessary. They are awesome.
- Garmin. While I may not be doing much distance running these days, I LOVE my Garmin. I own the Garmin Forerunner 210. It is a GPS enabled Garmin that tracks distance, calories, pace, time, etc. I love it because I can clock my heart rate, time my outdoor intervals, and see how hard I am really working. It’s fantastic.
- HMDX Jam Wireless Speaker. I have this tiny speaker, and it BLOWS me away with how loud this little thing is. I will use this when I’m working out outdoors with my clients and it helps so much to keep some tunes blasting while we do so.
- GapFit Gfast Leggings. When I find a good pair of leggings I get really excited about it. These GapFit leggings are just the right thickness, they wash well, and they are really comfortable. They also frequently go on sale, which makes me love them even more. 🙂
- Shaka Laka Chapstick. This is another one you may not consider a fitness product, but I %100 do. I cannot workout with chapped lips. It ruins my whole workout. My niece turned me on to this AMAZING chapstick that makes me want to lick my lips. I love the Maui Mint and the Coconut. This product can be a bit hard to find. If you live in Utah county, it is available at Will’s Pit Stop in Provo. Otherwise, you may want to get it online. It is real good.
You know I love food. Obviously, I talk about it all the time. 🙂 These are some of the most pinned recipes from my blog: Bon Apetit! Click HERE to see all the recipes that have been pinned from my website on Pinterest and HERE to see my own healthy recipe board. Cauliflower Pizza Crust Healthy Zucchini CookiesHealthy Peanut Butter BarsGreek Chopped Chicken SaladQuinoa Stuffed PeppersChicken Marinara Spaghetti Squash Boats Paleo Lemon Pie Bars Cottage Cheese Tomato and Avocado SaladAvocado Chicken SaladTaco Chicken & Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice Mini Tomatillo and Avocado Chicken Pepper Poppers