When we ventured to San Francisco last weekend, I had NO idea how much I would fall in Love with this city. It is so incredible. We started out with a “to do” list, and I didn’t really know what we would actually get to see. However, we crushed our list..and then some. I have had several people ask me for the details of my trip, so I wanted to share what we did for those who are interested!
I really, really, really wanted to go to Alcatraz, and unfortunately, because we were going to be in San Francisco over Labor Day weekend, the tour tickets that were just to Alcatraz were sold out. HOWEVER, upon doing some research we figured out how to get tickets to Alcatraz when it’s sold out. There are quite a few 2nd party tours that will offer a tour of San Francisco, including Alcatraz in their entire package. We were hesitant to do one of these tours because…let’s get real…tours of any kind are usually a little bit cheesy. Let me just tell you I’ve completely changed my tune here. If you are looking to see a lot of the “touristy” San Francisco sites, DO THE TOUR, and do it the first day…and I’ll tell you why.
Parking in SF is nearly impossible, and it’s expensive. Our tour hit SO many awesome places that we wanted to see, and we didn’t have to find parking EVER. It was simply a matter of being dropped off and picked up. It was awesome. The tour we did is THIS ONE if you are interested in our exact plan, but there are quite a few. Here is how our itinerary went down for the weekend…
- San Francisco Day tour – We got to walk down Lombard Street, visit the cable car museum, walk through China Town,
visit the Fortune Cookie Factory, Visit the Painted Ladies (Full House home), Drive past the Mrs. Doubtfire house, Stop at the Grace Cathedral, drive over the Golden Gate Bridge, Stop on the other side for a picturesque view of the bridge, stopped in Sausalito for lunch (We ate at a Mexican place called Copita that I would HIGHLY recommend.) I ordered the Chicken Tinga. I’d eat it all over again right now if I could.
- At this point our tour took a ferry ride back across the bay, which was so fun.
- We stopped at a frozen yogurt place in the Ferry Building called Humphry Slocombe which was BOMB.
- We then walked to another Ferry to head to Alcatraz. GO TO ALCATRAZ. It was so fascinating. I absolutely loved it. We were there for a few hours. You have the option of doing the audio tour that is included. Do it. It is so cool to hear all of the facts. We then took a ferry back.
- We walked down to Fisherman’s wharf & saw the sea lions, which was super fun. We walked all around the shops, & had dinner at Boudin. We then walked back to catch our BART back to where we were staying. All in all we walked about 10 miles day 1.
- I woke up and ran along Ocean Beach. There is an AMAZING trail that runs right along the ocean.If you are a runner, or if you have any interest in an awesome view while you’re running, this is an AWESOME place to go. It’s a straight trail w/very few lights.
- We then went and rented bikes to ride around the Bay.THIS IS A MUST. We got off our BART at Embarcadero, right by the ferry building and there was a bike rental place right there. Their info is HERE. They were super nice & easy to work with. CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING…
Pages: 1 2